Pit Bull Diet DCM Study

Literature Discussed: Pit bull-type breeds with dilated cardiomyopathy eating nontraditional diets improve after diet change (2015-2022). Fischer, K. E., Rush, J. E., & Freeman, L. M. (2023).  Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 1–9. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.2460/javma.23.01.0025

Key Takeaway: "[Pit bulls with DCM] eating nontraditional diets that changed diets had significant improvements in echocardiographic measurements after diet change."

Funding: Specific funding source not disclosed (likely internally funded University research). Potential COIs diclosed by authors for previous funding receipt or sponsored lectures to a multitude of pet food manufacturers. 


Medical records were reviewed for owner and cardiologist submitted cases of dilated cardiomyopathy in pit bull type breeds. This is a retrospective study, meaning it "looked back" at existing data, and it was a multicenter study, meaning that the dogs included in data analysis were diagnosed and managed at different veterinary hospitals. 

112 cases were submitted for inclusion, and 21 were excluded for a variety of reasons documented in the full paper. This left a final pool of 91 cases for analysis. 7 of these cases were from outside of the USA (6 in Canada, 1 in Germany). Of the 76 dogs with known diet history, 84% of dogs were eating non-traditional commercial diets, and the other 16% were eating were eating traditional commercial diets. 


If you enjoyed this article, you may also like:

Disinformation Still Dominates Diet & DCM Dialogue

Change of diet reduces measurement of heart damage marker in dogs fed grain-free

Another DCM study (2022) shows improved cardiac parameters when changing from non-traditional diet

Diet-Associated / Non-Hereditary DCM Q&A (2021)

Diet-Associated Timeline (Routinely updated)

DCM Resources

Facebook Group Diet-Associated Dilated Dilated Cardiomyopathy in Dogs

Sub-group for Veterinary Professionals

Follow me on Social Media: @AllTradesDVM

Facebook       Twitter       Instagram

Consider supporting the blog:

Patreon        BuyMeACoffee